Population 12900 people. Area Aalten (Netherlands) Phone code
Aalten is a village and a municipality located on the east of the Dutch province Gelderland, which lies on the German border. On 1st of January 2009 the village counted a sum of 12,900 inhabitants.
The village has a Resistance museum (Markt 12) and an Agricultural museum (De Freriksschure). In the center there is a church named Sint Helenakerk.
The settlement of the village dates back to the 6th century. In the second half of the 8th century Aalten was occupied by Karel de Grote who was a Saxon. In 1281 the city was first named Ahof by Graaf van Lohn. At the same time the first church was built in Ahof. Until the French times of 1811 the village was self controlled until it was connected by Heerlijkheid Bredevoort.